[1.12]How to make recipes configurable?

RealTheUnderTaker11

I have a magnet mod that has a Boolean in the config to change the recipes for every magnet in the mod (so there can be easy mode recipes or normal recipes). Before 1.12, this was easy. How would I now be able to give the player a config option to change the recipes of each item? 

Sorry if this has been asked or explained before, it's hard to find good information on this new JSON recipe system.

Edited by RealTheUnderTaker11

My IGN is TheUnderTaker11, but when I tried to sign up for this site it would not send the email... So yea now I have to use this account.

Wait, first you need to clarify what you're trying to do. Are you asking to allow players to create their own recipes, or do you mean you have two sets of recipes (easy mode and hard mode) that you want them to switch between?

If you want them to be able to switchthen the simplest way is to look at the config during the recipe registration event and register the recipes according to the config. This would require restarting the game after each change of the config, but it would be safest way. 

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

5 hours ago, jabelar said:

Are you asking to allow players to create their own recipes, or do you mean you have two sets of recipes (easy mode and hard mode) that you want them to switch between?

>

15 hours ago, RealTheUnderTaker11 said:

a Boolean in the config to change the recipes for every magnet in the mod (so there can be easy mode recipes or normal recipes)

------------

5 hours ago, jabelar said:

to look at the config during the recipe registration event and register the recipes according to the config.

>

on this new JSON recipe system

------------

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Ok, so instead of tinkering with a config file, they now create a recipe file in a folder. What's the big deal?

For many people, including myself, it's a lot easier and cleaner just to change a line in the config than download a resourcepack.
JSON system is good for modpacks, but not for regular usage IMHO.

Edited by MrBendelScrolls

I have a magnet mod that has a Boolean in the config to change the recipes for every magnet in the mod (so there can be easy mode recipes or normal recipes). Before 1.12, this was easy. How would I now be able to give the player a config option to change the recipes of each item? 

Sorry if this has been asked or explained before, it's hard to find good information on this new JSON recipe system.

You'll need to create your own condition that returns true or false based on this option and then create separate recipe files for easy and hard mode that use this condition.

Create a class that implements IConditionFactory and then specify this class in recipes/_factories.json. You can implement BooleanSupplier (the type returned by IConditionFactory#parse) using a lambda that returns the value of your config option.

In a recipe file, set the conditions property of the top-level object to an array containing an object for each condition. In each condition object, set the type property to the name of the condition type and include any other properties required by the condition type.

Forge will test the conditions at recipe load time and only register the recipe if all of them are met.

You can use the forge:not condition to invert the result of a condition.

If the hard and easy mode recipes are mostly the same except for one or two ingredients, you may want to use a conditional ingredient like this. This will allow the individual ingredients to change based on the config option instead of having one of two recipes enabled based on the config option.

15 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Simple, they make a resource pack and overwrite the recipe JSON.

Resource packs can't overwrite server-side files like recipes or loot tables, but Mojang plans to add data packs in 1.13 to allow that.

• Like 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

3 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Really, that's not possible yet? Typical...

Indeed. I already tried shoving a recipe into my own assets directory under /minecraft and it did diddly squat. Had to search around for a thread on recipe removal. Which, of course, leads to some vanilla advancements throwing an error when they load because the recipe is now missing.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

29 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Indeed. I already tried shoving a recipe into my own assets directory under /minecraft and it did diddly squat. Had to search around for a thread on recipe removal. Which, of course, leads to some vanilla advancements throwing an error when they load because the recipe is now missing.

You can override recipes by registering a dummy recipe with the same name as the vanilla one, but this spams the log with Dangerous alternative prefix warnings from Forge.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

6 minutes ago, Choonster said:

You can override recipes by registering a dummy recipe with the same name as the vanilla one, but this spams the log with Dangerous alternative prefix warnings from Forge.

Only if you're doing it with the registry event. If you're using JSON files, it just isn't loaded.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

3 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Only if you're doing it with the registry event. If you're using JSON files, it just isn't loaded.

Indeed. JSON files are only loaded for your mod ID and always have your mod ID as the domain of their registry name.

Sorry to take so long to reply (been pretty busy), but all that seems like more trouble than it's worth, and I found this handy helper class that lets me register them almost exactly as I was. I might change it later but for right now it doesn't seem worth it.

My IGN is TheUnderTaker11, but when I tried to sign up for this site it would not send the email... So yea now I have to use this account.

If you really want to do it in the single-call format (that is, your main class contains a new Block() line followed by a registerBlock() line) I'm in the process of updating my EasyRegistry class to 1.12, hasn't been pushed to git yet, but should be available in a day or so.

(Client)EasyRegistry for 1.12 now available.

Usage is straight forward. There's a separate method for every type of registration you may be interested in performing--block with item, block without item, item, items with IStateMappers, items with custom MeshDefinitions...--(if one's missing its because I haven't needed support for it myself). Note that if you wish to utilize this class, you may, just put it into a different package so it doesn't conflict if our mods are ever loaded side by side.

Note that the EasyRegistry is treated as both a proxy and event handler.

Edited by Draco18s