[1.10] Help Moving Living Entities Asymmetrically

FlamingVikingGoat

I'm working on an item that, when right-clicked, pushes back entities in a circle around the player. However, I want the entity to be pushed back following the same line; right now, the entities are pushed back into the closest corner. Additionally, I don't want the item to push entities through walls(so setting entity.posX/entity.posY directly or using entity::moveTo won't work). Here's the code that I have now:

@Override
    public ActionResult<ItemStack> onItemRightClick(ItemStack itemStackIn, World worldIn, EntityPlayer playerIn, EnumHand hand) {
        AxisAlignedBB aabb = playerIn.getEntityBoundingBox().expand(playerIn.posX + range, playerIn.posY + range, playerIn.posZ + range);
        List<Entity> entityList = worldIn.getEntitiesWithinAABBExcludingEntity(playerIn, aabb);
        for (Entity entity : entityList){
            if (entity instanceof EntityLiving){
                rebukeEntityFromPlayer((EntityLiving) entity, playerIn);
            }
        }

return super.onItemRightClick(itemStackIn, worldIn, playerIn, hand);
    }

private void rebukeEntityFromPlayer(EntityLiving entity, EntityPlayer player){
        //Creates xy plane with player at center by getting the directional distance between the coords of the entity and the player
        double adjX = entity.posX - player.posX;
        double adjZ = entity.posZ - player.posZ;

//Creates a triangle to describe the distance between the entity and player
        double startSideA = adjX;
        double startSideB = adjZ;
        double startHyp = Math.sqrt((Math.pow(startSideA, 2) + Math.pow(startSideB, 2)));

//Scales the triangle to get the point the entity should be pushed to
        double scaleFactor = range/startHyp;
        if(scaleFactor <= 1){return;}//stops spell if entity is already out of target area.
        double scaledSideA = startSideA*scaleFactor;
        double scaledSideB = startSideB*scaleFactor;

double desiredPosX = adjX + (scaledSideA - startSideA);
        double desiredPosZ = adjZ + (scaledSideB - startSideB);

if(Math.abs(adjX) < Math.abs(desiredPosX)){
            if(desiredPosX >= 0){
                entity.motionX = 3;
            } else if(desiredPosX < 0){
                entity.motionX = -3;
            }
        }
        if(Math.abs(adjZ) < Math.abs(desiredPosZ)){
            if(desiredPosZ >= 0){
                entity.motionZ = 3;
            } else if(desiredPosZ < 0){
                entity.motionZ = -3;
            }
        }

}

Additionally, here are some images to help convey my problem: Ideal ScenarioCurrent scenario

The problem is that you apply a flat value to the entity's motion, rather than a value computed from the angle of attack (Math.sin and Math.cos). "Oh, the entity is 0.1 not far enough away on the X axis! Shove him 3 units away!"

Also, drop the Math.pow(startSideA,2) nonsense. That's more expensive than startSideA*startSideA.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

startSideB is already the distance from the player on the Y axis. Why would you arc-cosine the ratio of side A over the hypotenuse, then cosine the result (resulting in the ratio of side A over the hypotenuse again...)?

Christ man, use the ratios of similar triangles.

You want the enemy to be 3 units away. You know how far away the enemy is. Divide and multiply.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

maybe this can help you

public boolean itemInteractionForEntity(ItemStack itemstack,EntityPlayer playerIn, EntityLivingBase doel, EnumHand hand) {
		if(!doel.world.isRemote){
		doel.motionY = 0.3;
			if (isgeladen(itemstack.getItemDamage())){
				doel.motionX = (doel.posX - playerIn.posX)*2;
				doel.motionZ = (doel.posZ - playerIn.posZ)*2;
				itemstack.setItemDamage(0);
			}else{
				itemstack.setItemDamage(itemstack.getItemDamage()+1);
			}
		}
		return false;
	}

Always looking for new challenges, and happy to help the people where ever I can