Two different versions of my item [1.12]

Severed_Infinity

Getting back into modding using the new guidelines. I've created a single item (so far), added it's texture, json, and registered. In game (in creative) opening inventory and adding my idea works no problem, the issue is with the /give command. When using the /give command I get a different untextured item that is not considered the same as the one from inventory.

3 minutes ago, Severed_Infinity said:

Getting back into modding using the new guidelines. I've created a single item (so far), added it's texture, json, and registered. In game (in creative) opening inventory and adding my idea works no problem, the issue is with the /give command. When using the /give command I get a different untextured item that is not considered the same as the one from inventory.

It's hard to answer your question without seeing the code also post the text you used as the command.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

4 minutes ago, Severed_Infinity said:

My apologies I was having trouble doing basic input to text field for some reason.

A gist to the list of class I believe are important to the issue.

I would like to see the command you entered and the ItemIngotCopper class.

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

2 minutes ago, Severed_Infinity said:

and the command "/give @p tn:ingot_copper 1 2"

I believe you are giving it with a metadata value, which in turn you did not register a model/texture to.

4 minutes ago, Severed_Infinity said:

Yeah, I am thinking that it is the case myself but I can't figure it out, changing the 2 to any other number or removing it still gives me a blank textured alternative version of my item. Very strange.

Could you put all of your code on github? And that is strange you should try looking through it with you're IDE's debugger.

Also:

• IHasModel is stupid. All items need models. ALL ITEMS.
  • ModelRegistryEvent is client side only. This will crash the dedicated server.
  • This can be done externally (i.e. not inside the class) just fine: Technium.proxy.registerItemRender(item, 0, "inventory");
  • If your item classes look like this, you don't need them at all.
  • The fuck? You used the IProxy interface (good) method and a common proxy (bad)?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

6 hours ago, Draco18s said:

Also:

• IHasModel is stupid. All items need models. ALL ITEMS.
  • ModelRegistryEvent is client side only. This will crash the dedicated server.
  • This can be done externally (i.e. not inside the class) just fine: Technium.proxy.registerItemRender(item, 0, "inventory");
  • If your item classes look like this, you don't need them at all.
  • The fuck? You used the IProxy interface (good) method and a common proxy (bad)?

Based a lot of that off of the most recent mod tutorials I could find.

9 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

FMLLog is deprecated. Use your own log as described in the class' Javadoc. Also, don't spam the log like that. Nobody cares that your pre init completed. FML already logs this. If you want to log it, don't do it at info level.

this is more for me, which I can remove at a later date.

9 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

"tn" is a terrible mod id. Make it longer.

just going by what I've seen in the past, present, and documentation that I've found.

12 minutes ago, Severed_Infinity said:

Based a lot of that off of the most recent mod tutorials I could find

Just because it's a tutorial doesn't mean it's "right" or "best." In fact, most Minecraft modding tutorials are written by people who don't actually know what they're doing, but they managed to cobble something together that appears to work, so they did a video about it...as evidenced by comments like this one:

loremaster.png

10 minutes ago, Severed_Infinity said:

just going by what I've seen in the past, present, and documentation that I've found.

1) See prior comments

2) Mod IDs can be pretty long. Not super long, but certainly long enough for "technium" (it's eight characters, if that was too long we'd have run out of possible mod IDs already!) Edit: the limit is 64 characters.

3) What D7 said.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

10 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

I seriously hope there are no tutorials that tell people to use a two-letter mod ID. A mod ID is meant to be unique. "tn" is not very unique, it could be the abbreviation for tons of things.

10 hours ago, Draco18s said:

1) See prior comments

2) Mod IDs can be pretty long. Not super long, but certainly long enough for "technium" (it's eight characters, if that was too long we'd have run out of possible mod IDs already!) Edit: the limit is 64 characters.

3) What D7 said.

I did not know that, thanks for letting me know.
I've been watching lore's videos recently but i see what you mean

UPDATE: after making some of the suggested changes you guys mention I found when loading up I got an error screen to say my item could not be found (due to obvious reasons like changing modid) but I found that my item was listed as "minecraft:item:tn:ingot_copper" instead of "tn:ingot_copper" (or rather should be now "technium:ingot_copper").

5 hours ago, Severed_Infinity said:

I've been watching lore's videos recently but i see what you mean

Mhm. I gathered.

5 hours ago, diesieben07 said:

Please update your Git repository.

I've done so, was out for most of the day only got around to it now. the duplicate item issue is gone now but now the texture doesn't render.

I took your advice and I believe I rewrote most the code in a better way but again I could be entirely wrong.