How to make an Item Edible?

PixxiBunny

Hey, I'm struggling with how to make my custom item edible. I get that i probably need a new item group for food items, but I'm pretty new to modding, so could anyone walk me through on how to do this? ❤️

Here's my registry code for my foods:

// Food
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK_RAW = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak_raw", ItemBase::new);
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak", ItemBase::new);

I wonder how vanilla does it.

Also, Code Style #4

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I've edited the code, it's got a bunch of errors and I'm very confused.

// Food
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK_RAW = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak_raw", Foods::new);
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak", Foods::new);

Edited by PixxiBunny

Create an instance of Food.Builder and build your food item with it.

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

1 minute ago, PixxiBunny said:

I've edited the code, it's got a bunch of errors and I'm very confused.

// Food
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK_RAW = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak_raw", Foods::new);
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak", Foods::new);

I believe Food is a property, and the food itself is an item

4 minutes ago, PixxiBunny said:

I'm sorry, but how would I do this?

new Food.Builder(....).build()

then when instantiating your item, pass in your food instance:

new Item.Properties().food(foodinstance)

Edited by kaydogz
typo

Here's what I got, still not letting me eat it:

// Food
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK_RAW = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak_raw", ItemBase::new);
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak", ItemBase::new);

public static class Foods {
        public static final Food COTTON_STEAK = (new Food.Builder()).hunger(8).saturation(12.8f).meat().build();
    }

13 minutes ago, PixxiBunny said:

Here's what I got, still not letting me eat it:

// Food

public static final Food COTTON_STEAK = (new Food.Builder()).hunger(8).saturation(12.8f).meat().build();
    }

It's not letting you eat it because you haven't applied the food to the item's Item.Properties

You need to apply the Food you created to your item.

Edited by DavidM

Some tips:

Spoiler

Modder Support:

Spoiler

1. Do not follow tutorials on YouTube, especially TechnoVision (previously called Loremaster) and HarryTalks, due to their promotion of bad practice and usage of outdated code.

2. Always post your code.

3. Never copy and paste code. You won't learn anything from doing that.

Programming via Eclipse's hotfixes will get you nowhere

5. Learn to use your IDE, especially the debugger.

The "picture that's worth 1000 words" only works if there's an obvious problem or a freehand red circle around it.

Support & Bug Reports:

Spoiler

1. Read the EAQ before asking for help. Remember to provide the appropriate log(s).

2. Versions below 1.11 are no longer supported due to their age. Update to a modern version of Minecraft to receive support.

2 hours ago, PixxiBunny said:

I've looked through the source, but I wasn't able to find any classes...

Apparently you didn't look at Items.java where things like cooked porkchop get instantiated to find out what classes were involved.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

14 minutes ago, PixxiBunny said:

How would I do this? I'm sorry I'm asking so much, I'm fairly new to this.

new Item(new Item.Properties().food(foodInstance))

PLEASE learn basic java before you start modding, so you won't have to ask questions like these.

4 minutes ago, kaydogz said:

PLEASE learn basic java before you start modding, so you won't have to ask questions like these.

It's saying cannot resolve symbol 'foodInstance'. Also, where would I place this code?

// Food

}
}

15 minutes ago, PixxiBunny said:

It's saying cannot resolve symbol 'foodInstance'. Also, where would I place this code?

// Food

}
}

foodInstance is what I put as a placeholder for the instance of your food, which is for you, Foods.COTTON_STEAK.

You would put the line as such:
ITEMS.register("itemregistryname", () -> new Item(new Item.Properties().food(foodInstance)));

As I said before, please learn java before you start modding.
Edit: And please remember to swap my placeholders for your values.

Edited by kaydogz
typo

2 minutes ago, kaydogz said:

foodInstance is what I put as a placeholder for the instance of your food, which is for you, Foods.COTTON_STEAK.

You would put the line as such:
ITEMS.register("itemregistryname", () -> return new Item(new Item.Properties().food(foodInstance)));

As I said before, please learn java before you start modding.

Alright, here's what I got. Still some errors though, any idea what's wrong?

// Food
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak", () -> return new Item(new Item.Properties().food(Foods.COTTON_STEAK)));

}

1 minute ago, PixxiBunny said:

Alright, here's what I got. Still some errors though, any idea what's wrong?

// Food
    public static final RegistryObject<Item> COTTON_STEAK = ITEMS.register("cotton_steak", () -> return new Item(new Item.Properties().food(Foods.COTTON_STEAK)));

}

Sorry, my bad. I had a typo from before. Just remove the return

• 3 years later...