Drawing OpenGL in Physical World

Alectriciti

I've been playing around with OpenGL a lot lately. With an attempt to make additional text appear over a player's head, this turned out to be more challenging than I thought without butchering up the source. Essentially, all I want to achieve is translating my OpenGL matrix to a player's coordinates and draw within a perspective context. Just like a name tag. In fact, let's just say for now, I want to recreate drawing a nametag.

I understand there are overridden methods in additional blocks/items, but this is a separate feature entirely.

I initially assumed I could achieve this with a RenderGameOverlayEvent or RenderWorldLastEvent, but apparently those are only good for 2d overlays, unless I'm using the WorldLast Event in the wrong manner.

Does anyone know how I can hook code into the context of drawing the world? Or could someone point me in the right direction? I'd really appreciate it because I've been on this one for quite some time now, and I've not found a single page talking about these events. Either way, thanks for taking your time to read. :)

I used the RenderWorldLast event for my world-rendering hooks.  It allows me to draw bounding boxes in the world regardless of player position, and without needing blocks/etc.  It should be fairly simple to hook in to draw a nameplate/etc above the players head (would just need the proper transformation set up).

Really? I thought that's what it would be used for. Could you possibly give me an example of how this is done?

I thought it would work something alone these lines, but no avail.

glPushMatrix();
glBegin(GL_QUADS);
glVertex3d(0,71,0);
glVertex3d(1,71,0);
glVertex3d(1,70,0);
glVertex3d(0,70,0);
glEnd();
glPopMatrix();

I tried glLoadMatrix() and various transformations alike. How would you do it?

I've worked up a solution. Thanks for your help! I just had to calucluate the coordinates from the player's position, and I did that with RenderManager's viewerPos variables. For anyone who might be reading this, I worked it out along with this similar code:

RenderManager rm = RenderManager.instance;
double x = player.lastTickPosX - rm.viewerPosX;
double y = player.lastTickPosY - rm.viewerPosY;
double z = player.lastTickPosZ - rm.viewerPosZ;
glPushMatrix();
glTranslatef((float)x, (float)y + player.height+1.25f, (float)z); //Translates to the target player
glRotatef(-main.rendermanager.playerViewY, 0.0F, 1.0F, 0.0F); //Faces towards the the viewport
//Draw here
glPopMatrix();

OpenGL can't render to Physical World; there appears to be a lack of a drawing API into real space.

(Google Glass is providing a work around soon, though)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Thank you, I'll be here all week.

*Bows*

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.