Common Folder

calclavia

I seen a lot of open source mods on GitHub (such as EE3 and BC) have 3 folders. Client, Server and Common. This is a very nice way to sort out their mods, but how can I easily and not manually have to move all the common source files into the common folder? How did they have their Eclipse to set up to work with these things?

Actually I just use a very simple script.  I have all my files in a subdirectory of the MCP install (like forge does), then run an install script to set it up.  This sets up my mods whole structure (bash script):

#!/bin/bash

# Setup variables
SELF="`pwd`"
cd ..
BASE="`pwd`"
cd "$SELF"

# Make directory and symlinks
mkdir -p $BASE/src/minecraft/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/
mkdir -p $BASE/src/minecraft_server/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/
mkdir -p $BASE/src/minecraft/com/overminddl1/minecraft/libs/
ln -sf "$SELF/src/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/client" "$BASE/src/minecraft/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/client"
ln -sf "$SELF/src/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/common" "$BASE/src/minecraft/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/common"
ln -sf "$SELF/src/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/server" "$BASE/src/minecraft_server/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/server"
ln -sf "$SELF/src/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/common" "$BASE/src/minecraft_server/com/overminddl1/minecraft/mods/overgreenetics/common"
ln -sf "$SELF/src/com/overminddl1/minecraft/libs/NMT" "$BASE/src/minecraft/com/overminddl1/minecraft/libs/NMT"

Shared common directory between client/server, always synced, with a dedicated client and dedicated server area as well.

It could be pretty easily ported to windows too (yes, windows 2000 and higher, including xp/vista/7/8 have a concept of symlinks like linux).

Note, for the most part it takes about 10 seconds to create a linked source folder in eclipse.

You only need to copy files around when you recompile/reobf.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Oh crap, you do system links, I did not see that :P

That works, but ya, google is your friend if you dont know how to make linked folders in eclipse.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon