How did you learn to mod?

jonathanpecany

Hello, a very noob mod here. I asked questions in the past about documentation and what not. Got the Java Docs. But after reviewing the forge docs and some tutorials, it is confusing. Like with registries and what not. I learned Java and I understand Java quite well now, but I guess this is for creating my own Java stuff, with some api. I can easily code a Server plugins, that is easy. But for Modding, it's difficult.

Lot's of steps, which makes sense.

To the point:
I want to know, for people who mods Minecraft, how did you learn and understand it, to make the game do want you want?

i've learned minecraft modding with:
the official forge doc
the forge community wiki
the most recommendable tutorial

you also can search for threads here in the forum or create a new thread
and there is the forge discord server

I taught the rest myself through tests or vanilla examples
I hope this is helpful

Edited by Luis_ST

Ditto to nearly everything @Luis_ST said. McJty's tutorials are really helpful.

Also, Minecraft by Example was super amazingly helpful for me! Currently, it's only up to 1.16 though. And, I found Silent Chaos's tutorials really helpful too. He moves much faster than McJty and assumes some background knowledge, so some people might find it harder to follow, but he takes you on a much faster path to getting a basic mod working.

Overall though, the process involved a lot of searching, looking at other mod code, and digging into Minecraft and forge code. Sometimes it feels like the information you want isn't there, but then you find something, and it all comes together. It can be frustrating, and then exhilarating. Then, it gets easier.

3 hours ago, Luis_ST said:

i've learned minecraft modding with:
the official forge doc
the forge community wiki
the most recommendable tutorial

you also can search for threads here in the forum or create a new thread
and there is the forge discord server

I taught the rest myself through tests or vanilla examples
I hope this is helpful

Thanks, I have looked at the official forge docs. I read all the way to blocks and tried to start on the coding and was confused. I will try the other links here later and hopefully they will help.

16 minutes ago, Danny and Son said:

Ditto to nearly everything @Luis_ST said. McJty's tutorials are really helpful.

Also, Minecraft by Example was super amazingly helpful for me! Currently, it's only up to 1.16 though. And, I found Silent Chaos's tutorials really helpful too. He moves much faster than McJty and assumes some background knowledge, so some people might find it harder to follow, but he takes you on a much faster path to getting a basic mod working.

Overall though, the process involved a lot of searching, looking at other mod code, and digging into Minecraft and forge code. Sometimes it feels like the information you want isn't there, but then you find something, and it all comes together. It can be frustrating, and then exhilarating. Then, it gets easier.

Thanks. I ain't that big of a fan of video tutorials as I don't have much of an attention span and the coding words are too small and I can't really zoom in on videos.

But I guess I would need to learn a lot more on registries to get started as they seem to be a core part of modding.

More or less same deal as the other responders, but would also like to add, get a github account if you don't have one, and learn how to use your IDE with git. It makes managing your own code so much easier, you can roll back changes, create branches, etc. etc. and probably one of the more helpful, you can link to it here if you have a problem, and you get much more help with a working* codebase than just describing your problem, or copy/pasting a couple classes into a forums post. (*working - includes what is needed to be capable of being built/run, if there are errors you can't figure out, people can/will often help)

I'm with you on video tutorials, they're terrible, whoever thought videos were a good medium for coding tutorials was high AF. That's the generation we're in though, if it's not a video, no one cares. :(

On 8/20/2021 at 5:39 AM, Ugdhar said:

I'm with you on video tutorials, they're terrible, whoever thought videos were a good medium for coding tutorials was high AF. That's the generation we're in though, if it's not a video, no one cares. :(

Don't get me wrong, if the video was a lot more easier to read (metaphorically) it would be a great tutorial. And when I say that, I mean make it easier on all people learning to code. Zoom in on the code, add it pop-ups of text of what each thing would/will do.  Make it describe more and help easier. Maybe make it a bit interactive. And less stressful on the eyes.

It would take extra work to do, but a high quality educational video isn't easy to do. Plus, you can probably monetize and with the high quality work, they could make higher profit, making it worth it. Don't forget high quality microphone and screen recorder.

Got to admit though, the worst modding tutorial is from TurtyWurty, he doesn't get to the point. And he is very hard to follow.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:39 AM, Ugdhar said:

More or less same deal as the other responders, but would also like to add, get a github account if you don't have one, and learn how to use your IDE with git. It makes managing your own code so much easier, you can roll back changes, create branches, etc. etc. and probably one of the more helpful, you can link to it here if you have a problem, and you get much more help with a working* codebase than just describing your problem, or copy/pasting a couple classes into a forums post. (*working - includes what is needed to be capable of being built/run, if there are errors you can't figure out, people can/will often help)

I might think about it. I already have a github account though. And since I am still new, there would be a lot of posts from me on here. Lol

Edited by jonathanpecany
Added some more text to answer second quote.

17 hours ago, jonathanpecany said:

there would be a lot of posts from me on here

Not a problem, really the main thing people take offense to around here is not knowing basic Java (syntax, classes, inheritance, scope, etc), and not showing code/logs, especially after being asked. Besides that, I don't think people mind repeated requests for help. It also helps if you try something(s), so you show motivation, and also have some code to share. "I'm trying to do this, here's what I tried, here's what it does/doesn't do that I don't expect" will get way more help than "How do I do this?" with no attempt at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ugdhar said:

Not a problem, really the main thing people take offense to around here is not knowing basic Java (syntax, classes, inheritance, scope, etc), and not showing code/logs, especially after being asked. Besides that, I don't think people mind repeated requests for help. It also helps if you try something(s), so you show motivation, and also have some code to share. "I'm trying to do this, here's what I tried, here's what it does/doesn't do that I don't expect" will get way more help than "How do I do this?" with no attempt at all.

Thanks. And any basic java code help, which might come up a few times, not much. I would ask on Stack Overflow.