Legacy Version Support

Thornack

Hi there its me.

I used to be quite active on here back in the days of Minecraft 1.7.10. How far things have come.

Minecraft modding was my way to learn Java.I literally knew 0 java but messing with Minecraft inspired me to learn.

It was excellent and I am grateful to this forum for the endless help with all of my niche questions/issues. So in the spirit of maintaining the past, keeping it alive so to speak, I have come back on here to ask for legacy forge version support.

I have recently come back to modding Minecraft 1.7.10, and yes it is still possible even in 2024 but it takes a lot to get the dev environment set up and all that, and am working on my massive mod that I never released. So I am hoping to engage the right people on here to rally for legacy forge version support for dev environment setup with gradle and to maintain it.

Is it possible to get support for legacy versions, why or why not? I think it should be. The old minecraft has a lot to offer still.

I know there used to be a lot of 1.7.10 mods that were fantastic back then and many were never updated to newer versions due to the insane workload it takes to keep up with their release schedule. But at least for me, its a ton of fun these days and I am a lot better at Java and OOP. 

Hoping to bring that to more people and see if its possible to at least maintain the dev environment side of the legacy forge versions into the future.

@diesieben thoughts? I miss your snarky comments and condescending remarks from years ago. They made me a better programmer because I wanted to prove you wrong. Very grateful to you. 

Its not a matter of 'allowing' it. Its a matter of the fact that the tools simply do not work anymore due to the rest of the internet and java changing.
There is an effort (by me, very slowly) to get it working but there isnt much progress on it because to be quite frank I dont care enough.
If you want to help with the tooling the feel free to hop on https://discord.minecraftforge.net and attempt to update the toolchain.
The issue with 'support' for old versions is when people come and expect/demand I do the work for them instead of trying to help the community as a whole. So if you're willing to help then I can point you in the right directions.

• Thanks 1

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Not sure which tools you are referring to, but the latest 1.7.10 forge works and you can setup a dev environment even today still. But you have to use a forked repo of forge and gradle to do that. Java 1.7 and Java 1.8 still work as well. I am also happy to help.

Is there a way we can create a section in the forum for legacy versions? For large legacy mods, Minecraft's constant version updates are too large of a workload to keep up with. There are some good stable legacy versions  that are a blast to mod and I think it's worth it.

Sorry people demand things, I try to come at it from the perspective of, they just want to learn while having fun.

Edited by Thornack

> But you have to use a forked repo of forge and gradle to do that.

Thats the toolchain im referring to. You need to make changes to make the toolchain working in the modern world. some people have hacked the old versions of the tools to function. But the better option is to build the tools to use the old version's data. Specifically updating https://github.com/MinecraftForge/ForgeGradle to be better.

• Like 1

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon