Halt Updating Forge to new versions of minecraft

TheModerGuy

Okay first of all i know many many many people will disagree with me and will probably stop reading right about now, but hear me out.

In my opinion i believe keeping forge on 1 version of Minecraft and updating it for that version only would make it very easy and less stressful for modders, forge devs, consumers and for everyone who uses the wonderful Minecraft Forge. Now i know what your thinking "WHY?!!! WHAT ABOUT *Insert totally awesome new feature from latest version of minecraft*?!!!!!" mods can add *Insert feature here* and even do a better job at it.

If we allow Minecraft forge to be non-parallel to Minecraft versions it will be easier for Modders to develop mods and the Mods don't need to be updated thus taking the dependency away from the developers to keep up with Minecraft's frankly insane updating pattern. since the Minecraft code stays the same the forge devs will have an easier time developing new hooks and new awesome features without the fear of their work being nulled as soon as Minecraft updates.

If this comes into effect mods will no longer become in-compatible and we would be able to use them for ever unless forge changes something vital to the mod

Just remember this is my opinion i am not forcing you to accept it, that's why its in the suggestions forum

I believe Lex doesn't want to go through the horde of "ZOMG WHYYYY I WANT MODS WITH NEWER MINECRAFTS!!!!"

'nuff said.

Read the EAQ before posting! OR ELSE!

This isn't building better software, its trying to grab a place in the commit list of a highly visible github project.

www.forgeessentials.com

Don't PM me, I don't check this account unless I have to.

Short answer, Never gunna happen.

Long answer:

1) It is by far harder to update Forge then it is most mods {I say most as there are some exceptions}. So If I can update Forge {Including all the back end stuff you guys dont see} Then a modder can update to a new MC version. Most things when it comes to updates for the end modder, is the same thing repeated a million times. Int he case of 1.7 it's removing all referneces to Block.blockID/Item.itemID. When a modder understands what they need to do, it becomes more tedious then hard.

2) Minecraft Updates as of late are large yes, but they are no insane, there update cycle of 4-6 months is NOT crazy. I'ts prety good actually.

1.2: March 1st 2012

1.3: Auguest 1st 2012 (5 Months)

1.4: October 25th (4 Months)

1.5: March 13th 2013 (5 Months)

1.6: July 1st 2013 (4 Months)

1.7: October 25th 2013 (3 Months, This was bumped up due to Minecon)

The last few updates have actually been done {partially} because of our interactions with the Minecraft team, We are slowly moving forward into a world where Minecraft modding WILL be stable, there is no reason for us to stagnate and hinder that progression.

3) I WILL NOT back port any Minecraft features to older versions. And If I stop updating to newer versions the entire fucking community will hound me to back port things. Ya.. this isn't gunna happen.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Int he case of 1.7 it's removing all referneces to Block.blockID/Item.itemID. When a modder understands what they need to do, it becomes more tedious then hard.

For the 1.7 release, will there be some sort of reference explaining what methods and such we should use instead of the depreciated ones, or will we have to root around for the answer?

No, for deprecated names, they have been deprecated for over a minecraft version, modders have had adiquate time to adjust to Forge's changes.

Beyond that it's Vanilla code that has changed. It may be a little bit of work but it's not hard.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon