Mining speed of blocks

superzanti

How is the mining speed of blocks determined?

I thought it was just based off the hardness, the harvestlevel, and the harvesttool. But I guess not because I noticed today:

• Cobblestone-> hardness: 2, harvest level: 0, harvest tool: pickaxe, harvest time: 10 seconds by hand
  • Wood Planks-> hardness: 2, harvest level: 0, harvest tool: axe, harvest time: 3 seconds by hand

So there is obviously something more than just those 3 values...

Right, That all makes sense, but the damage per tic is clearly:

MiningDamageEquation.png

as per the links you sent me.

Which only depends on the player (who i'm not changing in any way), the block hardness, and canHarvestBlock which is weather the tool of the player matches the required tool of the block.

On the minecraft wiki at http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Breaking#Blocks_by_hardness

it shows that both cobblestone and wood planks have a hardness of 2. They both require a wooden tool to mine, and yet they have different speeds when mined by hand... why?

The material.

Block block = (new Block(Material.rock)).setHardness(2.0F).setResistance(10.0F).setStepSound(soundTypePiston).setUnlocalizedName("stonebrick").setCreativeTab(CreativeTabs.tabBlock);

public BlockPlanks()
    {
        super(Material.wood);
    }

Right, That all makes sense, but the damage per tic is clearly:

MiningDamageEquation.png

as per the links you sent me.

Which only depends on the player (who i'm not changing in any way), the block hardness, and canHarvestBlock which is weather the tool of the player matches the required tool of the block.

On the minecraft wiki at http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Breaking#Blocks_by_hardness

it shows that both cobblestone and wood planks have a hardness of 2. They both require a wooden tool to mine, and yet they have different speeds when mined by hand... why?

It is in the equation.  You can harvest wood with your hand, but can not harvest cobblestone with your hand.  You can break both with your hand.  Since you can harvest wood with your hand the divisor is 30.  You can't harvest cobblestone, so the divisor is 100.  That is the difference.

Ahh.. Thank you so much. I had a suspicion it might be the material but some other modders assured me otherwise.

Is there a way to change the material of a block after the block has been created?

i.e. the material of a block changes when I right click it?

No, because the Block is a singleton and the material is a property of the block.

You would have to use a tile entity and calculate the player's relative break speed manually.  Which I had to do for a block because the tool I wanted to "harvest" it was not considered a tool (the hoe), so it had no efficiency values.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.