[1.8.9] Multi-Block Structures

nicolas1410

Hello,

I'm currently working on a server with some friends, blabla.

We've got a loadshit of ideas we're working on right now, but this one is blocking us.

What is really needed to create a Multi-Block Structure ? I mean, I looked on the Nether Portal code, but still, it's almost incomprehensible.

If you could send me the steps for that, but don't give me the code please it won't really help me.

Regards,

I only tried to understand by what I should start with. 

- I've seen that I'd make a TileEntity, obviously.

- Certainly a class needed to detect/scan the structure.

I can't see what is really needed there.

That's pretty all I've attempted.

If there's a way to "draw" the structure in the code, it'd be awesome tho.

Thank you for your response

33 minutes ago, Awesome_Spider said:

Well, start by creating a TileEntity and the blocks you'd want in your structure.

Alright, the TE is done, nothing much there to be honest it's just like one of my basic furnace atm, it's just for practicing the multi-block.

I'd use the obsidian block for this structure, I guess it won't be a problem, right ?

The structure would be :

Air : A

Obsidian : O

Nether Star Block : X

OOO  OOO  OOO

XOX   OAO   XOX

OOO  OOO  OOO

30 minutes ago, Awesome_Spider said:

Oh and btw, we wouldn't give you the code if you did want it. That's not the purpose of this forum. I will try to help you through it.

Well, sometimes people just give some tutorials with all the code already done & without real explanations.

I appreciate that you guys won't give any code & that you take your time for me.

Oh, I forgot, do you have a block for your tile entity? The only way I know to spawn a tile entity is with a block that extends BlockContainer.

In your tile entity, you would want to make it tickable, and in your update method scan the world for the right blocks.

When your TileEntity finds the blocks, what would you want to happen? A texture change or something?

28 minutes ago, Awesome_Spider said:

is with a block that extends BlockContainer.

WRONG SIR.

All you need to do is override the hasTileEntity and getTileEntity methods in the Block class.

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/ores/block/BlockMillstone.java#L36

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/ores/block/BlockMillstone.java#L63-L71

Edited by Draco18s
  • Like 1

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

12 minutes ago, Leomelonseeds said:

Whats wrong with extending BlockContainer though

Everything.  It's based on an interface that isn't needed, overrides several methods that you have to override again to get back the (desired) default behavior...

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

ITileEntityProvider is the Mojang way.  Forge patches things so that it's not needed and uses the newer, better, IBlockState parameter rather than the old metadata parameter.

So yes, not using BlockContainer is better in all the ways. Don't use it.

What you need to do is determine how to check if the structure is complete. I would use the TE to do this and there are multiple ways to do this, but since you are using vanilla blocks that does limit it a little. You will need to implement ITIckable (not the client/sound one) on your TileEntity which will give you a method called update. Use this to check the positions that the structure should exist at.

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

You don't need a TE, ITickable, or even a custom block.

You just need to check on block placement if there's a valid structure.  For vanilla blocks, you'll need to use events.  For your own blocks you can use Block#onPlacedByPlayer (If I remember the method name correctly).

If you want it activated by placement, then you'll want to instruct your players to place a certain block last (like the wither or golem/snowman). Since netherstars are rarely placed anywhere, you could set your event to detect netherstar placement and run your detection code then.

Alternatively, you could require ignition as in a nether portal and run your code then. Or you could create a new item whose use upon a certain part of your structure activates it, running your detection code whenever the item is used.

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Thank you all for your answers,

3 hours ago, Draco18s said:

You don't need a TE, ITickable, or even a custom block.

You just need to check on block placement if there's a valid structure.  For vanilla blocks, you'll need to use events.  For your own blocks you can use Block#onPlacedByPlayer (If I remember the method name correctly).

Vanilla's Obsidian Blocks was just an idea, if it's simpler to do that with my own blocks I'll go this way.

18 hours ago, Awesome_Spider said:

In your tile entity, you would want to make it tickable, and in your update method scan the world for the right blocks.

I actually don't want to make my structures to check every tick if the structure is full, if that's possible of course ( onNeighorChange something like that I guess ) it prevent lags on servers when a lot of structures are placed on the world.

18 hours ago, Awesome_Spider said:

When your TileEntity finds the blocks, what would you want to happen? A texture change or something?

It'd look like some old bricks furnace. Also, flame & smoke animation.

18 hours ago, Draco18s said:

I should override this on the blocks I'll use ? It's ok to use this if the structures has 3 different blocks ?

1 hour ago, jeffryfisher said:

If you want it activated by placement, then you'll want to instruct your players to place a certain block last (like the wither or golem/snowman). Since netherstars are rarely placed anywhere, you could set your event to detect netherstar placement and run your detection code then.

Alternatively, you could require ignition as in a nether portal and run your code then. Or you could create a new item whose use upon a certain part of your structure activates it, running your detection code whenever the item is used.

I've made an item that I'd like to use to make the structure appear. Dunno how to make this work properly, maybe, onItemRightClick then check if the structure is full.

---

So, first of all, I'd make a method that check when all blocks are placed in the TE and an other when the structure is complete. Then, in my blocks class, override the 2 methods

"hasTileEntity" "getTileEntity"

1 hour ago, nicolas1410 said:

I should override this on the blocks I'll use ? It's ok to use this if the structures has 3 different blocks ?

...Only override it if your block has a tile entity. Overriding to return false/null is stupid because Block already does that.

20 minutes ago, nicolas1410 said:

I understood that, but if my structure has 3 different blocks, I'll have to Override this in the 3 blocks classes right.

It dependsTM.

You only override them for the blocks which have a TileEntity associated. If you have 3 blocks for your block, and you use 1 block as "master" which handles the functionality, the other blocks don't need a TileEntity.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/