My custom Frost Walker Enchantment doesn't recover the block after some time [solved]

Enderlook

I'm trying to make a custom Frost Walker that instead of turn water into ice it will turn lava sources into obsidian and lava flows into cobblestone.

Also, I want that after some time, that cobblestone and obsidian turns into lava again like in Frost walker.

My problems are two:

1. It isn't able to turn lava flows. It only works in sources (Pseudo-fixed below).
  2. It doesn't turn back blocks after a while.

Here is my code:

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void stonewalker(LivingUpdateEvent event) {	
		int level = EnchantmentHelper.getMaxEnchantmentLevel(ENCHANTMENT_STONE_WALKER, event.getEntityLiving());
		if(level > 0) {
			Entity entity = event.getEntity();
			EntityLivingBase entityLiving = event.getEntityLiving();
			World world = entity.world;
			if(!world.isRemote && entityLiving.onGround) {
				int r = level + 2;				
				BlockPos pos = entity.getPosition();
				for (int x = -r; x <= r; x++) {
					for (int z = -r; z <= r; z++) {
						BlockPos blockpos = pos.add(x,-1,z);						
						if(blockpos.distanceSq(pos.getX(), pos.getY(), pos.getZ()) > r*r) {
							continue;
						}
						IBlockState iblockstate = world.getBlockState(blockpos);
						if (iblockstate.getMaterial() == Material.LAVA && (iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.LAVA || iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.FLOWING_LAVA) && ((Integer)iblockstate.getValue(BlockLiquid.LEVEL)).intValue() == 0 && world.mayPlace(Blocks.OBSIDIAN, blockpos, false, EnumFacing.DOWN, (Entity)null)) {
							 world.setBlockState(blockpos, Blocks.OBSIDIAN.getDefaultState());
	                         world.scheduleUpdate(blockpos.toImmutable(), Blocks.OBSIDIAN, MathHelper.getInt(entityLiving.getRNG(), 60, 120));
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}
	};

I think the problems may be in the last if block statement.

• This: `iblockstate.getMaterial() == Material.LAVA && (iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.LAVA || iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.FLOWING_LAVA) && ((Integer)iblockstate.getValue(BlockLiquid.LEVEL)).intValue() == 0 && world.mayPlace(Blocks.COBBLESTONE, blockpos, false, EnumFacing.DOWN, (Entity)null)`.
    • I'm not sure how works this part `((Integer)iblockstate.getValue(BlockLiquid.LEVEL)).intValue()`.
    • I noted that if I delete that part, it's able to turn lava flows, but I was wondering why Minecraft has that in Frost Walker enchantment.
  • Also, I think this line make the timer: `world.scheduleUpdate(blockpos.toImmutable(), Blocks.OBSIDIAN, MathHelper.getInt(entityLiving.getRNG(), 60, 120));` but I am not sure how to ask to "world" turn back the block after the time expires.

The first problem can be fixed in this way:

if (iblockstate.getMaterial() == Material.LAVA && (iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.LAVA || iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.FLOWING_LAVA) && world.mayPlace(Blocks.OBSIDIAN, blockpos, false, EnumFacing.DOWN, (Entity)null)) {
							if (((Integer)iblockstate.getValue(BlockLiquid.LEVEL)).intValue() == 0) {
								world.setBlockState(blockpos, Blocks.OBSIDIAN.getDefaultState());
								world.scheduleUpdate(blockpos.toImmutable(), Blocks.OBSIDIAN, MathHelper.getInt(entityLiving.getRNG(), 60, 120));
							} else {							
								world.setBlockState(blockpos, Blocks.COBBLESTONE.getDefaultState());
								world.scheduleUpdate(blockpos.toImmutable(), Blocks.COBBLESTONE, MathHelper.getInt(entityLiving.getRNG(), 60, 120));
							}
						}

Not sure the second one.

Edited by Enderlook

I believe vanilla turns back blocks by not placing actual ice, but placing special ice that turns back by itself. 

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

12 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

I believe vanilla turns back blocks by not placing actual ice, but placing special ice that turns back by itself. 

You have right: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Frosted_Ice :(

So, what is the purpose of?:

world.scheduleUpdate(blockpos.toImmutable(), Blocks.COBBLESTONE, MathHelper.getInt(entityLiving.getRNG(), 60, 120));
Edited by Enderlook

26 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

I'm not sure how works this part `((Integer)iblockstate.getValue(BlockLiquid.LEVEL)).intValue()`.

liquid level 0 = source block. Frost Walker only turns source blocks into things.

26 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

but I am not sure how to ask to "world" turn back the block after the time expires.

As Cadiboo says, Frost Walker doesn't make ice, it uses a separate block.

https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Frosted_Ice

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

4 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

You have right: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Frosted_Ice :(

So, what is the purpose of?:

Telling the block that it should update. This does nothing for normal blocks, however for the Frosted ice it probably (I assume) will trigger a possible melt

Edited by Cadiboo

About Me

Spoiler

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

Just now, Cadiboo said:

Telling the block that it should update. This does nothing for normal blocks, however for the Frosted ice it will trigger a possible melt

You could make blocks that extend frosted ice and just set their blockstates to point to the vanilla block models (cobble, obsidian)

About Me

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

Any idea of where can I get the source code of Frosted Ice? I would like to see it but I can't find it.

Use your IDE to look for it, it’s probably under net.minecraft.block

About Me

Spoiler

I've made a custom block, called `petrify_obsidian` (just a basic block) in order to spawn it with my "stone_walker". But each time I try to use my enchantment it crashes the game, and if I replace it with normal obsidian, it doesn't.

What am I doing wrong?

I just changed `Blocks.OBSIDIAN` to `ModBlocks.PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN_BLOCK`.

I think the problem may be with the way I register it, but not sure.

@EventBusSubscriber(modid = ExtraCraft.MOD_ID)
public class ModBlocks {

@ObjectHolder(ExtraCraft.MOD_ID + ":petrify_obsidian_block")
	public static final BlockPetrifyObsidian BLOCK_PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN = null;

private static CBlockBasic[] BLOCK_BASIC;

public static void init() {
		BLOCK_BASIC = new CBlockBasic[] {
			new BlockPetrifyObsidian()
		};
	}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	public static void initializeBlockModels() {	
		for (CBlockBasic block : BLOCK_BASIC) {
			block.initializeModel();
		}
	};

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerBlocks(final RegistryEvent.Register<Block> event) {
		final IForgeRegistry<Block> registry = event.getRegistry();		
		registry.registerAll(BLOCK_BASIC);	
	};

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerItemBlocks(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
			block.registerItemBlock(event);
		}
	}
}

Init is called on:

@Mod(modid = ExtraCraft.MOD_ID, name = ExtraCraft.NAME, version = ExtraCraft.VERSION)
public class ExtraCraft implements IProxy {
	// [...]
	@Override
	@EventHandler
	public void preInitializationEvent(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
		ModBlocks.init();
	}
	// [...]
}

I think that the registration of my enchantment event is being done before my block initialization (null exception), but I don't know how to change the order.

Description: Ticking player
java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking player
	at net.minecraft.world.World.mayPlace(World.java:3435)
	at net.enderlook.extracraft.init.ModEnchantments.stonewalker(ModEnchantments.java:69)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_8_ModEnchantments_stonewalker_LivingUpdateEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:90)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:182)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.onLivingUpdate(ForgeHooks.java:566)
	at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.onUpdate(EntityLivingBase.java:2312)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer.onUpdate(EntityPlayer.java:272)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayerMP.onUpdateEntity(EntityPlayerMP.java:423)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.update(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:185)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher$1.update(NetworkDispatcher.java:212)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.processReceivedPackets(NetworkManager.java:307)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.networkTick(NetworkSystem.java:197)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(MinecraftServer.java:865)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:743)
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.tick(IntegratedServer.java:192)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:592)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

What can I do?

3 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

I've made a custom block, called `petrify_obsidian` (just a basic block) in order to spawn it with my "stone_walker". But each time I try to use my enchantment it crashes the game, and if I replace it with normal obsidian, it doesn't.

What am I doing wrong?

I just changed `Blocks.OBSIDIAN` to `ModBlocks.PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN_BLOCK`.

I think the problem may be with the way I register it, but not sure.

public class ModBlocks {

private static CBlockBasic[] BLOCK_BASIC;

public static void init() {
		BLOCK_BASIC = new CBlockBasic[] {
			new BlockPetrifyObsidian()
		};
	}

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
	public static void initializeBlockModels() {	
			block.initializeModel();
		}
	};

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerBlocks(final RegistryEvent.Register<Block> event) {
		final IForgeRegistry<Block> registry = event.getRegistry();		
		registry.registerAll(BLOCK_BASIC);	
	};

@SubscribeEvent
	public static void registerItemBlocks(final RegistryEvent.Register<Item> event) {
			block.registerItemBlock(event);
		}
	}
}

Init is called on:

@Mod(modid = ExtraCraft.MOD_ID, name = ExtraCraft.NAME, version = ExtraCraft.VERSION)
public class ExtraCraft implements IProxy {
	// [...]
	@Override
	@EventHandler
	public void preInitializationEvent(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
		ModBlocks.init();
	}
	// [...]
}

I think that the registration of my enchantment event is being done before my block initialization (null exception), but I don't know how to change the order.

Description: Ticking player
java.lang.NullPointerException: Ticking player
	at net.minecraft.world.World.mayPlace(World.java:3435)
	at net.enderlook.extracraft.init.ModEnchantments.stonewalker(ModEnchantments.java:69)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_8_ModEnchantments_stonewalker_LivingUpdateEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:90)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:182)
	at net.minecraftforge.common.ForgeHooks.onLivingUpdate(ForgeHooks.java:566)
	at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLivingBase.onUpdate(EntityLivingBase.java:2312)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer.onUpdate(EntityPlayer.java:272)
	at net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayerMP.onUpdateEntity(EntityPlayerMP.java:423)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetHandlerPlayServer.update(NetHandlerPlayServer.java:185)
	at net.minecraftforge.fml.common.network.handshake.NetworkDispatcher$1.update(NetworkDispatcher.java:212)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.processReceivedPackets(NetworkManager.java:307)
	at net.minecraft.network.NetworkSystem.networkTick(NetworkSystem.java:197)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(MinecraftServer.java:865)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:743)
	at net.minecraft.server.integrated.IntegratedServer.tick(IntegratedServer.java:192)
	at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:592)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

What can I do?

Something is null on line 69 of ModEnchantments

VANILLA MINECRAFT CLASSES ARE THE BEST RESOURCES WHEN MODDING

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

Forge and vanilla BlockState generator.

2 hours ago, Animefan8888 said:

Something is null on line 69 of ModEnchantments

I know, the line 69 is:

if (iblockstate.getMaterial() == Material.LAVA && (iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.LAVA || iblockstate.getBlock() == Blocks.FLOWING_LAVA) && world.mayPlace(ModBlocks.BLOCK_PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN, blockpos, false, EnumFacing.DOWN, (Entity)null)) {

I'm quite sure the null may be `ModBlocks.BLOCK_PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN`, that is why I'm asking how can I fix it. That block is initialized automatically by Minecraft:

public class ModBlocks {
	// [...]
	// [...]
}

And also the enchantment is initialized by Minecraft:

@EventBusSubscriber(modid=ExtraCraft.MOD_ID)
public class ModEnchantments {
	// [...]
	@SubscribeEvent
	public static void stonewalker(LivingUpdateEvent event) {
		// [...]
	}
}

So I don't know how to fix it.

Use the debugger to verify that that is what is null.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

14 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

I'm quite sure the null may be `ModBlocks.BLOCK_PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN

I'm sure that it is the null instance that you are using as an entity that is null. Try using the player.

Edited by Animefan8888

I will be posting 1.15.2 modding tutorials on this channel. If you want to be notified of it do the normal YouTube stuff like subscribing, ect.

31 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

I'm sure that it is the null instance that you are using as an entity that is null. Try using the player.

I'm not sure what you mean with "try using the player", but note that if I replace my block ModBlocks.PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN_BLOCK to Blocks.OBSIDIAN (I mean, a vanilla block) it works fine. That is why I think it may be a problem with the block.

39 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Use the debugger to verify that that is what is null.

I'm sorry but I don't know how to use that IDE's tools, so I'll do my best. I've set a breakpoint in that line and open debug mode. It says:

event	LivingEvent$LivingUpdateEvent  (id=419)	
level	1	
entity	EntityPlayerMP  (id=424)	
entityLiving	EntityPlayerMP  (id=424)	
world	WorldServer  (id=431)	
r	3	
pos	BlockPos  (id=436)	
x	-1	
z	-2	
blockpos	BlockPos  (id=697)	
iblockstate	BlockStateContainer$StateImplementation  (id=440)	

It seems that there isn't any null in that variables.

But...

If I add this line before the breakpoint:

BlockPetrifyObsidian a = ModBlocks.BLOCK_PETRIFY_OBSIDIAN;

I can see:

getMaterial() returned	MaterialLogic  (id=462)	
event	LivingEvent$LivingUpdateEvent  (id=418)	
level	1	
entity	EntityPlayerMP  (id=423)	
entityLiving	EntityPlayerMP  (id=423)	
world	WorldServer  (id=430)	
r	3	
pos	BlockPos  (id=435)	
x	-2	
z	-2	
blockpos	BlockPos  (id=438)	
iblockstate	BlockStateContainer$StateImplementation  (id=439)	
a	null	

That "a" ---> my custom block, is null.

So, if both things (the block and the event) are registered automatically with "@SubscribeEvent", how can I ask Minecraft/Forge to initialize first the block and then the event? Or I don't know, whatever it must be done.

23 minutes ago, Enderlook said:

So, if both things (the block and the event) are registered automatically with "@SubscribeEvent", how can I ask Minecraft/Forge to initialize first the block and then the event? Or I don't know, whatever it must be done.

The yes it is obviously your block, and the problem may be that the string in your @ObjectHolder annotation doesn't match its registry name?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Animefan8888 said:

The yes it is obviously your block, and the problem may be that the string in your @ObjectHolder annotation doesn't match its registry name?

You have right, the registry name was different from the @ObjectHolder, I didn't know that. Thank you!