item in hotbar checker (idk how to phrase it)

vanilla______

2 hours ago, vanilla______ said:

but I have no Idea what to do from here. thx for the help.

I think you should check the slots one by one. an example would be a for-loop (which checks the first 9 slots for obsidian 0-8 that would be the hotbar slots).

note: if you want to change something in the inventory you cannot use Minecraft#getInstance#player because you get a client player here

7 hours ago, Luis_ST said:

I think you should check the slots one by one. an example would be a for-loop (which checks the first 9 slots for obsidian 0-8 that would be the hotbar slots).

note: if you want to change something in the inventory you cannot use Minecraft#getInstance#player because you get a client player here

yeah, but my problem rn is more of what obsidian is, like what do I put inside the for(___)?

14 hours ago, Luis_ST said:

how would I do that in a for loop, I tried to solo it but i'm dum so I only got this

for(int i = 0; i<9; i++) {

I++;
			if(mc.player.inventory.getStackInSlot(I) == obi) {
				System.out.print("workin fine :D");
				Debug.log("workin fine :D");
			}
		}

note: i isn't I, I is a int I made for this

(1) Why are i and I not the same variable. Please explain this.

(2) Items are not Blocks, ItemStacks are not Items.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

18 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

(1) i is a generic integer, capital I is not, so I made an int I because it was simple and easy to remember

?????

18 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

(2) I know, I assume getSTACKinslot would use an itemstack, I made a new itemstack(Blocks.OBSIDIAN) and named it obi.

then the Item Stacks would never be the same, since they're different instances, get the item from the player's inventory item stack, and then check if it matches against the instance of the item you want

Edited by kiou.23

1 hour ago, kiou.23 said:

?????

then the Item Stacks would never be the same, since they're different instances, get the item from the player's inventory item stack, and then check if it matches against the instance of the item you want

1 if I use i as an intiger, it create a new thing i bcs it's just what java does, if i use CAPITAL I it doesn't and I can use my custom variable

2 that's what it does (I think), it gets the stack in slot I, which will increase 9 times from 0-8, and then it sees if it's equal to "obi" aka new ItemStack(Blocks.OBSIDIAN)

5 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

1 if I use i as an intiger, it create a new thing i bcs it's just what java does, if i use CAPITAL I it doesn't and I can use my custom variable

????

5 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

2 that's what it does (I think), it gets the stack in slot I, which will increase 9 times from 0-8, and then it sees if it's equal to "obi" aka new ItemStack(Blocks.OBSIDIAN)

that's not what I said, I explained why what you're doing won't work, and what you need to do

1 let's just ignore the first point it doesn't matter

2 well I don't know what your saying then, it seems like I'm doing what you said but I guess i'm not, could you go into a bit more detail thx, specifically wdym by "instances", thx.

10 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

????

that's not what I said, I explained why what you're doing won't work, and what you need to do

12 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

1 let's just ignore the first point it doesn't matter

I'm trying to understand what's the difference between using i and I... i seems to accomplish the same thing that I does, logically

edit: and ooops, accidentally send it, so I'm going to have to reply point 2 in another message

Edited by kiou.23

13 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

2 well I don't know what your saying then

Item Stacks and Items are different things

14 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

it seems like I'm doing what you said but I guess i'm not

correct, you're not, you're instantiating a new Item Stack and seeing if it is the same as another one, that's not the same as checking if the item from one item stack matches the static instance of the item that you want

15 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

could you go into a bit more detail thx, specifically wdym by "instances", thx.

I shouldn't have too, instance are basic OOP, which you are expected to know

in short: any time you use the keyword "new" to create a new variable, you are instantiating a class, therefore: an instance. what the player has in his inventory is an instance of the ItemStack class. what you want (and this is what I said), to check if the Item in the ItemStack is the Item that you're looking for

3 hours ago, vanilla______ said:

2 well I don't know what your saying then, it seems like I'm doing what you said but I guess i'm not, could you go into a bit more detail thx, specifically wdym by "instances", thx.

Lets say you buy a book on Amazon. And then you order a second copy.

When they arrive you place one on your coffee table and one in your bookshelf.

Are they the same object?

No, of course not, you have TWO books. The one on your coffee table is definitely not the same one on your bookshelf. They are identical but they are not the same object. They are two different instances of that book.

The itemstack in the player's inventory is the book on the bookshelf.
The itemstack you created in your code is the book on the coffee table.
And you just asked you if the two stacks are the same object.

Only what you're trying to do is go through your bookshelf and find the other copy of the book that is on your coffee table. So how would you do that? By reading the titles.

Edited by Draco18s

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

5 minutes ago, Draco18s said:

Lets say you buy a book on Amazon. And then you order a second copy.

When they arrive you place one on your coffee table and one in your bookshelf.

Are they the same object?

No, of course not, you have TWO books. The one on your coffee table is definitely not the same one on your bookshelf. They are identical but they are not the same object. They are two different instances of that book.

The itemstack in the player's inventory is the book on the bookshelf.
The itemstack you created in your code is the book on the coffee table.
And you just asked you if the two stacks are the same object.

Only what you're trying to do is go through your bookshelf and find the other copy of the book that is on your coffee table. So how would you do that? By reading the titles.

thx for clarifying

7 minutes ago, vanilla______ said:

kiuo.23 When you use i, it won't use a variable called i, it will create a new intiger because i is what a new intiger is called, it's just a throwaway, Capital I is not i, so it won't create a new variable and will use a variable that is called I.

that's highly incorrect, where did you learn this?

"i" is, in this case, a variable defined in the for loop, for each time the for loop runs, "i" will get incremented by one. it is a variable like any other, there's nothing special about it

Edited by kiou.23

47 minutes ago, kiou.23 said:

that's highly incorrect, where did you learn this?

"i" is, in this case, a variable defined in the for loop, for each time the for loop runs, "i" will get incremented by one. it is a variable like any other, there's nothing special about it

just did some experimenting realized what's happening, your right.