How does forge work?

Luna_Genesis

I've been pondering the nature of forge mod loader wondering how it's possible I always thought mods were kinda officially supported but after doing a little modding I kinda got this idea in my mind where they decompiled minecraft and hooked into one of the preloading classes but that seems like a LOT of work for every minecraft release...

Does forge depend on the minecraft release? I mean did they have to fix a decomp and make it run or is there something that allows them to indirectly target and execute methods and such?

<Other implicit questions I should be asking but don't even know how to phrase?>

Here you can find a little bit about how Forge works: http://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/forgedev/

Of course Forge depends on the Minecraft release and they need to fix patches for newer Minecraft versions, but most of the code doesn't change from one version to the another in Minecraft. Also devs from Mojang coded MCP - Mod Coder Pack - tool, that help Forge devs to decompile and deobfuscate Minecraft.

Forge has 2 main parts: patches and everything else. Patches are small files that tell compiler where to change original code. Forge's patches for Minecraft are as tiny as possible. They just call code from other parts of Forge to minimize changes to make migration to newer releases easier. Forge contain not only event hooks, but a lots of its own stuff to make modding easier: Registries, abstract layers above Minecraft code to avoid conflicts, utility classes, event buses and so on.

Edited by quaiby

I'm just very crazy about performance :D

Well, no, they've never been officially supported, just condoned by the EULAs.  Just if you've wondered, a brief history of modding (possibly oversimplified with errors):

In the beginning there was MCP (Minecraft Coder Project), which, like Forge, was third-party.  It provided utilities that decompiled and deobfuscated Minecraft for modding.  It was all about "install mods" (aka, "jar mods") -- to install a mod you actually had to open minecraft.jar with a tool for zip files (jar's really are speciallized zip files).  If something went wrong the game could break (so you backed up the jar) and if two mods changed the same class they could not be used together -- the second one you installed would break the first by overwriting its changes.

Then came two innovations.  One was the mod loader, of which there were several (Rasgumi's, LiteLoader, etc.) -- you could install those mods and then they could load other mods.  Second there was Forge, which included APIs and ways to avoid modding base classes directly.  Then, Forge added its own built-in Forge Mod Loader (FML).  Installing mods in the jar was then obsolete, modding was much safer, and huge modpacks became possible and eventually common.  However, modding Minecraft has never been like modding most games -- you really are hacking the games binary either directly or indirectly.  With Forge, you can avoid hacking the core game.  Still, new release break everything, and force MCP and Forge to fix everything for the new versions; I'm sure all the work is why the Forge team doesn't want to support really old game versions.

I might want to look at the link given above for the details, as I never worried about it too much.  But I do know this -- the ability to load new code at run time is part of the Java language, supported through what are called classloaders.  Modding if possible because of the nature of the Java language rather than the intentional design or Notch or Mojang.  Thus, Forge only works for the "Java edition."

• Thanks 1

Developer of Doomlike Dungeons.

4 hours ago, JaredBGreat said:

Second there was Forge, which included APIs and ways to avoid modding base classes directly.  Then, Forge added its own built-in Forge Mod Loader (FML).

Not quite. I believe Forge Mod Loader is actually a layer that allows Mod Loader mods to work with a Forge installation.

As a result, the two systems "merged" (originally just compatible, but Mod Loader is no longer, while Forge still exists)

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

On 30/04/2018 at 4:01 AM, quaiby said:

Also devs from Mojang coded MCP - Mod Coder Pack - tool, that help Forge devs to decompile and deobfuscate Minecraft.

I think its important to note that MCP was NOT made by Mojang, and that amazing amounts of work have to be put into this tool every version to keep it up to date and readable! Every variable in Minecraft source code has obfuscated names and every variable in Decompiled code that has a logical name was named by someone who took the time to understand the variable and what it does enough to name it.

• Like 1

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

9 hours ago, Cadiboo said:

by someone who took the time to understand the variable and what it does enough to name it.

I renamed a parameter in a function once.

I'd have done it more, but I forgot the syntax MCPBot uses to override the protections on letting people rename anything (as you can't edit the javadoc without said override).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

13 hours ago, Draco18s said:

I renamed a parameter in a function once.

I'd have done it more, but I forgot the syntax MCPBot uses to override the protections on letting people rename anything (as you can't edit the javadoc without said override).

is there anywhere that has a tutorial on MCPBot syntax? I've actually had to go through quite a lot of source code and understand it and I would like to put my experience into the MCPBot

About Me

Spoiler

My Discord - Cadiboo#8887

My WebsiteCadiboo.github.io

My ModsCadiboo.github.io/projects

My TutorialsCadiboo.github.io/tutorials

Versions below 1.14.4 are no longer supported on this forum. Use the latest version to receive support.

When asking support remember to include all relevant log files (logs are found in .minecraft/logs/), code if applicable and screenshots if possible.

Only download mods from trusted sites like CurseForge (minecraft.curseforge.com). A list of bad sites can be found here, with more information available at stopmodreposts.org

Edit your own signature at www.minecraftforge.net/forum/settings/signature/ (Make sure to check its compatibility with the Dark Theme)

57 minutes ago, Cadiboo said:

is there anywhere that has a tutorial on MCPBot syntax? I've actually had to go through quite a lot of source code and understand it and I would like to put my experience into the MCPBot

The documentation explains the commands here.

• Thanks 1

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.