How do i make a block with a model, that it two blocks high?

Drachenbauer

That's also pretty simple, all you really need to is create an ItemBlock for your block, and override the placeBlock method, there you can check if the top block is air and place and if not cancel the placement.

Edit: Also take a look at the `TallBlockItem` class, it's what minecraft uses for stuff like doors, take a look at Items.OAK_DOOR. (PSA. im on 1.14 so if you're on 1.12 the names will be slightly different)

Edited by abused_master
more info

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m now in 1.14 too.

now i got an error about the minecraft-block air...

Caught exception during event RegistryEvent.Register<minecraft:block> dispatch for modid angrybirdsmod
java.lang.NullPointerException: Can't use a null-name for the registry, object Block{minecraft:air}.

Why this happens?

I just use the air-block to delete the top block on harvesting.

I don´t change anything at it´s registration.

Now i fixed the error,

The error was very weird.

It told about the minecraft air-block, but it appeared, because the top-block for my tall block had no registery name.

And the BlockItem-thing works too.

So there are no more conflicts at trying to place it under a too low ceiling.

I made an if-else-thing, that makes the common stuff of that method, if the top block is air and returns false (= no blockplacing at all), if it´s not air.

But now i get the model one block too high.

The collision-boxes show the right order (the whider one for the ballon ontop of the narrow one for the string).

How to fix this

Edited by Drachenbauer

On 7/29/2019 at 11:33 AM, Drachenbauer said:

Now i fixed the error,

The error was very weird.

It told about the minecraft air-block, but it appeared, because the top-block for my tall block had no registery name.

Blocks that aren't in the registry don't exist so the game treats them as air. Its not weird at all. Not the greatest error message, but its not weird.

31 minutes ago, Drachenbauer said:

I still have no clue, why the model appears one block to high...

You still haven't posted any useful code.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

This is in the bottom part of the block:

@Override
    public void onBlockPlacedBy(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState state, LivingEntity placer,
            ItemStack stack)
    {
        worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), AngryBirdsBlocks.balloon_block_top.getDefaultState());
        super.onBlockPlacedBy(worldIn, pos, state, placer, stack);
    }

@Override
    public void onBlockHarvested(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState state, PlayerEntity player)
    {
        worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), Blocks.AIR.getDefaultState());
        super.onBlockHarvested(worldIn, pos, state, player);
    }

It´s just, what you told, i should use.

...and your JSON model(s)? You know, the bit that's related to why the model is only one block tall? Maybe you should include the model?

And the BlockItem class you were told to make?

Do I really have to repeat myself?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

My bottom part extends this, because i also try to make different colord possible:

package drachenbauer32.angrybirdsmod.blocks;

import javax.annotation.Nullable;

import drachenbauer32.angrybirdsmod.entities.tile_entity.TileEntityBlockColors;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockState;
import net.minecraft.block.ContainerBlock;
import net.minecraft.entity.LivingEntity;
import net.minecraft.item.DyeColor;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.tileentity.TileEntity;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.world.IBlockReader;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class AbstractColorBlock extends ContainerBlock
{
    private final DyeColor color;

protected AbstractColorBlock(DyeColor p_i48453_1_ , Properties builder)
    {
        super(builder);
        color = p_i48453_1_;
    }

@Override
    public TileEntity createNewTileEntity(IBlockReader worldIn)
    {
        return null;
        //return new TileEntityBlockColors();
    }

public void onBlockPlacedBy(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState state, @Nullable LivingEntity placer, ItemStack stack)
    {
        TileEntity tileentity = worldIn.getTileEntity(pos);
        if (tileentity instanceof TileEntityBlockColors)
        {
            ((TileEntityBlockColors)tileentity).loadFromItemStack(stack, this.color);
        }
    }

public DyeColor getColor()
    {
        return this.color;
    }
}

And this is the bottom-class itself:

package drachenbauer32.angrybirdsmod.blocks;

import java.util.Map;

import com.google.common.collect.Maps;

import drachenbauer32.angrybirdsmod.init.AngryBirdsBlocks;
import drachenbauer32.angrybirdsmod.util.Reference;

import net.minecraft.block.Block;
import net.minecraft.block.HorizontalBlock;
import net.minecraft.block.BlockState;
import net.minecraft.block.Blocks;
import net.minecraft.entity.LivingEntity;
import net.minecraft.entity.player.PlayerEntity;
import net.minecraft.item.BlockItemUseContext;
import net.minecraft.item.DyeColor;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.state.DirectionProperty;
import net.minecraft.state.StateContainer;
import net.minecraft.util.Direction;
import net.minecraft.util.Rotation;
import net.minecraft.util.math.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.util.math.shapes.ISelectionContext;
import net.minecraft.util.math.shapes.VoxelShape;
import net.minecraft.world.IBlockReader;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class BalloonBlock extends AbstractColorBlock
{
    protected static final VoxelShape BALLOON_BLOCK_AABB = Block.makeCuboidShape(5.0D, 0.0D, 5.0D, 11.0D, 16.0D, 11.0D);
    public static final DirectionProperty FACING = HorizontalBlock.HORIZONTAL_FACING;
    private static final Map<DyeColor, Block> BALLOONS_BY_COLOR = Maps.newHashMap();

public BalloonBlock(String name, DyeColor p_i48448_1_, Block.Properties builder) 
    {
        super(p_i48448_1_, builder);
        setRegistryName(Reference.MOD_ID, name);
        this.setDefaultState(this.stateContainer.getBaseState().with(FACING, Direction.NORTH));
        BALLOONS_BY_COLOR.put(p_i48448_1_, this);
    }

@Override
    public boolean isSolid(BlockState state)
    {
        return false;
    }

@Override
    public VoxelShape getCollisionShape(BlockState state, IBlockReader worldIn, BlockPos pos, ISelectionContext context)
    {
        return BALLOON_BLOCK_AABB;
    }

@Override
    public VoxelShape getShape(BlockState state, IBlockReader worldIn, BlockPos pos, ISelectionContext context)
    {
    }

@Override
    public VoxelShape getRenderShape(BlockState state, IBlockReader worldIn, BlockPos pos)
    {
    }

@Override
    protected void fillStateContainer(StateContainer.Builder<Block, BlockState> builder)
    {
        builder.add(FACING);
    }

@Override
    public BlockState getStateForPlacement(BlockItemUseContext context)
    {
        return this.getDefaultState().with(FACING, context.getPlacementHorizontalFacing().getOpposite());
    }

@Override
    public BlockState rotate(BlockState state, Rotation rot)
    {
        return state.with(FACING, rot.rotate(state.get(FACING)));
    }

@Override
    public void onBlockPlacedBy(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState state, LivingEntity placer,
            ItemStack stack)
    {
        worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), AngryBirdsBlocks.balloon_block_top.getDefaultState());
        super.onBlockPlacedBy(worldIn, pos, state, placer, stack);
    }

@Override
    public void onBlockHarvested(World worldIn, BlockPos pos, BlockState state, PlayerEntity player)
    {
        worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), Blocks.AIR.getDefaultState());
        super.onBlockHarvested(worldIn, pos, state, player);
    }

public static Block forColor(DyeColor p_196287_0_)
    {
        return BALLOONS_BY_COLOR.getOrDefault(p_196287_0_, Blocks.WHITE_BANNER);
    }
}

It seams like something in the class, it extends, makes it unable to render it´s model.

I know, that it get´s it´s model by it´s registryname.

And it worked fine, bevore i made it extend this color-block.

Edited by Drachenbauer

5 minutes ago, Drachenbauer said:

something in the class, it extends, prevents it from rendering it´s model.

Yeah, ContainerBlock. Go look at it.

This forum has been telling people not to extend ContainerBlock (or BlockContainer, pre 1.13) for literally a decade now because it does all kinds of garbage you don't want your blocks to do. Like not rendering a fucking model.

And oh yeah, we could have told you that if you'd just posted your entire class the first time instead of just sections.

Edited by Draco18s

I didn´t notice this info until you told it now.

And the banner, that uses ditterent colors, extends containerblock.

so i thaught, it´s the right one for using different colors.

Does my color-idea still work, if i estend the normal block instead, with my color-block, that my color-changables stould extend?

The banner is literally the farthest thing from your block. Its not colorable, it uses custom textures based on complex information that is not representable in a few bytes. You want colors, look at the wool block, the stereotypical colored block. How does it do it?

16 different blocks. One for each color. You want something more complicated (say, dyed like leather armor), then maybe IBlockColor suits your needs.

The fact that AbstractColorableBlock uses a TileEntity should have thrown a red flag if your block does not use a TileEntity.

IBlockColor

ok, now i have this added in my registry events:

@SubscribeEvent
        public static void registerBlockColors(final ColorHandlerEvent.Block event)
        {
            event.getBlockColors().register(blockColor, AngryBirdsBlocks.balloon_block,
                                                        AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_block,
                                                        AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot2_block);
        }

How do i declare the content for the actual empty field "IBlockcolor blockColor", i created for this?

And i had to delete the

BlockColors blockColors = 

part in front of the event-line, because with it, i get a type-mismatch.

Another question back to topic:

I have another more complex model, where i want to add blocks this way, but with the rotation of the main-block (i splitted the model into two parts, because i want to color only some parts of it with the Iblockcolor-thing, i´m working on.).

How do i apply a rotation on the bloch to place, with:

worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_birch_wood_base_block.rotate(state, worldIn, pos, rotation));

I tryed to fill a field Rotation rotation with the actual rotation of the block this way:

@Override
    public BlockState rotate(BlockState state, Rotation rot)
    {
        rotation = rot;
        return state.with(FACING, rot.rotate(state.get(FACING)));
    }

beause i thaught, this method, i already use to rotate a block, get´s the actual rotation in it´s "rot".

But this makes the game crash with a "nullpointerexeption", if i try to place this block.

I try all this, because i find no method-call, that fits in the first code-snippet abd sets directly the Direction of the block (what i use to rotate my blocks normally)

How can i get the actual rotation of the main-block to rotate the other part-block the same direction?

Now i found this:

worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_birch_wood_base_block.getDefaultState().with(arg0, arg1));

But i still don´t know how i can put the Direction into the "with"...

Now i tryed this:

worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_birch_wood_base_block.getDefaultState().with(FACING, rotation.rotate(state.get(FACING))));

But it gives the crash with the "nullpointerexeption" too.

Now im not sure:

Is the method "rotate" (what i show you at the top of this post) really called before "onBlockPlacedBy"?

Edited by Drachenbauer

I have all this in all theese blocks, and now i found the right command for placing it:

worldIn.setBlockState(pos.up(), AngryBirdsBlocks.slingshot_birch_wood_base_block.getDefaultState().with(FACING, Direction.EAST));

The top-block, i place  with this, holds the wooden part of the slingshot model. so i have only the parts, that can be colored in, in the model for the main-block.

How do i check the Directions-property of the block (or  what else indicates in wich direction i want to place the block) in the BlockItem?

For this model, i want not only check the top for air, i also want to check the sides as well:

If i want to place the model oriented to the north or souch, it should check the east and west sides of it.

And if i want to place the model oriented to the east or west, it should check the north and south sides of it.

Edid:

i found the solution:

@Override
    protected boolean placeBlock(BlockItemUseContext context, BlockState state)
    {
        if (context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock)
        {
            Direction facing = state.get(FACING);

switch(facing)
            {
                default:
                if (context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().east()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().west()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().east().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().west().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock)
                {
                    return super.placeBlock(context, state);
                }
                else
                {
                    return false;
                }

case EAST:
                if (context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().north()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().south()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().north().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().south().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock)
                {
                }
                else
                {
                    return false;
                }

case SOUTH:
                if (context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().east()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().west()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().east().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().west().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock)
                {
                }
                else
                {
                    return false;
                }

case WEST:
                if (context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().north()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().south()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().north().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock&&
                    context.getWorld().getBlockState(context.getPos().south().up()).getBlock() instanceof AirBlock)
                {
                }
                else
                {
                    return false;
                }
            }  
        }
        else
        {
            return false;
        }
    }
Edited by Drachenbauer

another question about such multiblock-structures:

If i play in creative-mode and click with the mousewheel on a block, i get a copy of this block as item.

What happens, if i click on a side-block of my model with the mousewheel and how can i make that i always get the main-block of the model, if i click on one of it´s side-blocks this way?

The best way is, that it checks the main-block-position and gives the block, it finds there

That´s because i use the same side-blocks for both slingshot-types and it also should give the block in the color, that is placed, if i get the colours-thing to work any time later.

Edited by Drachenbauer