New to minecraft modding

BlitzLego

Hi everyone, 

over the past year I have been taking an course in java. Now that the course is pretty much over I would like to make a mod. I have done the initial workspace setup. However I have no idea were to go from there. My goal is to create a mod that enhances vanilla gameplay by adding some simple quality of life items. I have been unable to find any good up to date tutorials to help me. I am more of a visual learner and therefore learn better by videos and the like. I'm looking for either A: a link to an up to date 1.16.5 tutorial or B: an open source mod with nicely organized code with comments that i can look at. 

https://wiki.mcjty.eu/modding/index.php?title=YouTube-Tutorials

I have no idea how good the video tutorials are, I can't stand the things myself, and stick to text only, but all reports say McJty is the way to go if you don't want to be taught how to do stuff wrong.

Also, search the forums/use google, I've had lots of luck doing that when I wanted to figure out how to do stuff. Odds are, if you're asking it, someone else has probably asked it before you, and the answer is just buried in here somewhere.

The pace at which the Minecraft code changes, which in turn forces forge to change, makes it tough for tutorials to be current, and they tend to get out of date somewhat quickly. Search a lot, try stuff, look at other mods code (tons of them are on github, just search on there too!), poke around in the vanilla MC code, and when the stuff you're trying doesn't work, post code (or much much better, a link to a working github repo of your code) and a description of what you're trying to do (from the player in-game standpoint, not what you want your code to do), and people tend to be pretty helpful (provided you indeed know basic/intermediate Java)

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample/tree/1-16-3-final

1.16.3 isn't going to vary that widly from 1.16.5 beyond the deobf process (1.16.3 iirc still uses MCP names while 1.16.5 uses the official Mojang names).

https://github.com/Cadiboo/Example-Mod

1.15 is also pretty similar.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.